Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:49:35 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>, Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>, Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-dev] Re: metadata update durability ordering/soft updates

On Monday, 18 March 2002 at 11:58:17 -0800, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> --- Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com> wrote:
>> Hiten Pandya wrote:
>> I actually don't understand the remark about needing to pay me
>> royalties.  If you leave the GPL on the code, and don't violate the GPL
>> by integrating it with non-GPL compatible code, you don't need to pay
>> me.  You can probably talk me into granting waivers on trivially
>> incompatible with the GPL licenses.  Where you need to pay me is when
>> you want someone (yourself or MS or anyone....) to be able to add to
>> BDS+ReiserFS without making their additions free.
>
> I think I get your point (after all this time 8-)).

*sigh* I'm not so sure.

> If someone ports ReiserFS to FreeBSD, there will be no fee; but if
> someone makes additions to ReiserFS, than they have to pay you for
> logical business reasons, am I right?

No.

The difference between ReiserFS and other GPL software appears to be
that you can optionally buy the software with a non-GPL license.
These are two distinct cases.

For GPL, we have:

1.  You never pay royalties.
2.  Any package which includes the software must be released under the
    GPL.  For a FreeBSD kernel, this means that the kernel binary must
    be under the GPL.  For a binary, this means that all sources must
    be made available for "free".
3.  Any changes you make to the software must also be under the GPL.

For the proprietary version, we have whatever the license agreement
says.  This presumably includes payment.

> Apart from that, there would be no issue in porting ReiserFS to
> FreeBSD. One more question, if the booting part of ReiserFS was
> re-written in the BSD License, would there be any issues still
> existing? :-)

Why would you want to do that?

Greg