Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:48:17 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crashing, how to make a bugreport?

Hi!

I've had some issues with mplayer and FreeBSD for some time now. Usually my
FreeBSD-box is quite stable, no problem building world, kernels and various
big port. And no issues in daily use. Except for mplayer, which will bring
FreeBSD to crash the hard way.

I had this problem with an old 4.4-setup running XFree 4.1.x. I have now made
a fresh 4.5 install which is upgraded to -STABLE and installed 4.2, KDE 2.2.2
etc.. All went fine and is running smoothly. Ogle, xine etc. runs "fine"
aswell. I've even tested the RAM with memtest86, swapping and taking RAM out,
no errors.

So I just had to test whether the "mplayer bug" had gone away... it hasn't.

I'm no hacker but I've tried following the steps in
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html#AEN4707>;
and all I get is this:

root:/sys/compile/FRODOKERNEL# gdb -k
GNU gdb 4.18
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
(kgdb) symbol-file kernel.debug
Reading symbols from kernel.debug...done.
(kgdb) exec-file /var/crash/kernel.0
(kgdb) core-file /var/crash/vmcore.0
IdlePTD at phsyical address 0x0003fbc0
initial pcb at physical address 0x0035bd60
panic messages:
---
dmesg: kvm_read: invalid address (c0354c60)
---
#0  0x0 in ?? ()
(kgdb) where
#0  0x0 in ?? ()

Now, my question is how get more information out of the *.core-files and what
do I include into a bugreport (just the above + dmesg)?

Bjarne
--
Homepage: http://www.mekanix.dk