Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 01:09:21 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 04:35:55PM -0600, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 10:31:20PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > Far more sweeping changes have been made to -stable in the past.
>
> Of course.  But this particular change is gratuitous.  Do not merge it
> to -STABLE, please.  Instead, wait for 4.6.  What's the hurry?

To me it sounds like a much better idea to MFC it now than just before
a release.  If it is merged now then there is plenty of time to find
and fix any problems that might pop up.  Right before a release is not
the time to do that.

My understanding is that in general big changes should happen as long
before a -RELEASE as possible precisely to weed out any problems.

So, if it is OK to have this in 4.6-RELEASE, then I really don't
understand what the would be with having it added now.

As I understand it the emphasis is usually to have upgrades from one
-RELEASE to the next -RELASE be smooth and painless.
People who track -STABLE on a daily basis are supposed to read the
stable@ list and read /usr/src/UPDATING and thus will be aware of this
change.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>