Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 16:46:08 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

On 4 Apr 2002, at 15:26, Benjamin Krueger boldly uttered:

> * irado (irado@subdimension.com) [020404 15:11]:
> > > Poorly implemented and arbitrary "anti-spam" blocking is worse than
> > > none at all, and we will continue to see innocent people getting
> > > unnecessarily inconvenienced as a result.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, if messages like the following are any indication, these
> > > "anti-spam" measures aren't even particularly effective for their
> > > primary purpose.
> > >

> > > [sent to questions@freebsd.org]

> > cool.. very cool. I am being upset by these 'anti-spam'
> > cause that I am obliged to use my webmail account to deliver
> > posts to the list, which is boring.
> >
> > BTW, will somebody realy take care on this??
>
> 	If the spam filtering that the lists implement are not to your
> liking, perhaps you can volunteer to help maintain better ones?
> Filtering is not a perfect science. It isn't even close.

Well yanno, I'd be glad to contribute, but the attitude of whoever
answers "postmaster@freebsd.org" has been consistently uninterested
in my POV on the matter so far.

I consider myself lucky to have finally gotten the ability to send
email to the lists or to postmaster without it bouncing back. (and I
had to make changes to my email client in order to do so -- something
that has *never* been necessary with any list or recipient I have
emailed in the last 7 years or so I've been using this email client)

> 	I am told that the FreeBSD mailing lists are some of the largest active
> lists on the internet. I don't have any statistics to quote, but if this is
> true, I would say that 1 spam per day out of nearly a hundred valid posts is
> an excellent record. We usually don't even get that.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but until very recently the FreeBSD
lists didn't even require subscription validation to post messages -
there was a big debate about it recently if I'm not mistaken.  If
true, freebsd.org is so out of touch with modern realities of
operating public lists that I have little sympathy for their problems
with spam, whether or not they operate particularly big lists or not.

(it's extremely ironic that the debate at the time revolved around
this utopian fantasy that people should be able to post to the list
without ever "subscribing"... yet with their current implementation
of arbitrary filtering, they are in fact intentionally blocking
various perfectly innocent users and longtime subscribers from using
the lists, people who have nothing at all to do with "spam")

> 	Calling the filters poor and abritrary is unfair at best, and ignorant at
> worst. The filters that the FreeBSD mailing lists use are common, and found in
> lists across the internet.

You are just plain wrong.  I am not at all unfamiliar with antispam
measures, I have debated them for years and I run mail systems for a
variety of domains.  If these measures were so common, why is it that
freebsd.org (and only recently) was the only organization out of
hundreds or thousands that have been recipients of my email messages
that has ever cared about this particular detail that they used as an
excuse to not only block me from posting to the lists, but even from
emailing postmaster?

To quote from my last message to the person who answered
postmaster@freeebsd.org email (and, I might add, never responded to
these comments and others):

> [freebsd.org person claims their filters are justified by "RFCs"]
>

> in particular, using them for "postmaster@domain" email is a highly
> questionable practice.  Since you brought up RFC's, how about this
> quote from RFC 2821:
>

> > SMTP systems are expected to make every reasonable effort to accept
> > mail directed to Postmaster from any other system on the Internet.
> > In extreme cases --such as to contain a denial of service attack or
> > other breach of security-- an SMTP server may block mail directed to
> > Postmaster.  However, such arrangements SHOULD be narrowly tailored
> > so as to avoid blocking messages which are not part of such attacks.

> If you run a well maintained mail host, you
> shouldn't have problems. If you're forced to use a mail host which breaks some
> internet curtosies, is part of a banned netblock, or otherwise misbehaves, I'm
> very sorry but this is how the internet works (or doesn't work).

Wrong wrong wrong wrong.  It's awfully convenient when trying to
justify one's own unilateral actions, to assert that "that's just the
way the internet works", but it's not only often just a figment of
that person's imagination, it's often just damn arrogant.

For example, if some over-zealous "parental filter" company decides
that the word "breast" is evil and therefore blocks it from anyone
who is using their parental filtering utility, it doesn't give them
the justification to say to those who complain about not being able
to reach sites on breast cancer that "it's just the way the internet
works".

Some sites in the USA are blocking the network address range from
entire countries like China as an "antispam measure", because they're
too lazy (or don't consider it important) to go to the effort to use
a method that doesn't cause so much collateral damage.  So when a
chinese-american customer contacts them to complain that they can no
longer communicate with their relatives back home, are they going to
get told "that's just how the internet works"?  How arrogant and
obnoxious that is.

> Petition your provider for better mail service, or help to clean up the dirty relays in your
> netblock.

I have no "provider", I run the show.  And the problem isn't "dirty
relays", and it isn't "poor mail service".  The problem is flawed,
careless, presumptuous and inconsiderate "anti-spam" filters which
are arbitrary and which are not narrowly-tailored.

> 	Finally, the mailing lists are free resources, like everything else here.
> They are maintained by volunteers, and as such are not a right. Appreciate
> what we do have, and help to improve it, rather than bitching about a free
> resource that somebody else isn't keeping up to your standards.

How ironic, that that is precisely what I am doing.  You just
apparently believe that only your vision of "spam filtering" is the
"correct" one.  I happen to think poor spam filtering degrades the
quality of the list.  It certainly ends up blocking a significant
number of perfectly innocent users from taking advantage of the
lists.

I'm tired of the "throw the baby out with the bathwater" approaches.
In the olden days, we called it "net abuse".

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium