Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:18:03 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Peter Kieser" <pfak@telus.net>, <sthaug@nethelp.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'rm' incompatibility with Posix.2

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 06:04 pm, Peter Kieser wrote:
| I say we just leave it how it is now. Else alot of people are probably
| going to end up deleting directories by accident. It's perfectly fine how
| it is, if it's not broken why fix it?

Well, the question is whether it's broken;

and right now it FreeBSD sometimes deletes directories; the request is to
delete the link instead under those circumstances, so the argument from
"don't avoid directories unless you are certain" would militate in favor of
changing the behavior.

(Not that I'm advocating such a change.  The FreeBSD behavior seems
consistent & sensible to me; the Linux behavior [as described on this list]
does not; other Unices vary, and clearly there is little consistency.  None
of which matters if people just avoid trailing slashes.  Since trailing
slashes are rarely seen unless they are deliberately being used to mean
something special, I prefer FreeBSD's semantics, which do something useful
with that information over other semantics which always discard that
information.)

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org