Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 07:14:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        imp@village.org, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard hang - how to start debugging?

> In message: <200205161243.g4GChAo48345@lakes.dignus.com>
>             Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com> writes:
> :
> : OK -
> :
> :  pccard (or, more likely, the pcic driver) hangs when I insert
> :  my ethernet card into the pcmcia slot on my VAIO F480 (with
> :  4.5-RELEASE.)
> :
> :  The entire machine is hung up tight.
> :
> :  When I remove the card, everything comes "alive" again....
> :
> :  This clearly feels like a missed interrupt somewhere...
> :
> :  So - how do I start to attack this problem?  I was thinking DDB
> :  in the kernel would be the way to go, but if the machine is hung,
> :  how do I interrupt it?
>
> Set a breakpoint in pcic_pci_intr before inserting the card.  Try
> reading various exca registers by hand to see if reading one of them
> fixes things.  Try looking at the pci memory mapped cardbus registers.
> Get lots of datasheets.

 OK - I'll start looking around....

> :  Any thoughts on how to debug this issue would be greatly
> :  appreciated.  I'm hoping a little stumbling around, err.... debugging,
> :  will shed light on this.
>
> Good luck.  I fought this one for a long time and gave up in the end
> and putting the hw.pcic.intr_path in as a work around.

 But... that doesn't work for me.  If it set it to "1" - the machine
 will not boot.

 Also - I need to understand why this machine worked so well with
 4.1-RELEASE, and doesn't with 4.5-RELEASE.  I'm guessing there
 was a significant change of some kind?..

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com