Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 08:11:51 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org, ports@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   My position on commiters guide 10.4.4

This statement appearse as result of my conflict with Kris Kennaway who
insist on rule #10.4.4.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/ports.html#Q10.4.4.

I am in strong disagreement with this rule, because, in general, it is not
a porter tasks described there. Lets go into details. First of all, here
is whole text to make citation easy to find:

---------------
10.4.4. What is the proper procedure for updating the checksum for a
port's distfile when the file changes without a version change?

When the checksum for a port's distfile is updated due to the author
updating the file without changing the port's revision, the commit message
should include a summary of the relevant diffs between the original and
new distfile to ensure that the distfile has not been corrupted or
maliciously altered. If the current version of the port has been in the
ports tree for a while, a copy of the old distfile will usually be
available on the ftp servers; otherwise the author or maintainer should be
contacted to find out why the distfile has changed.
-----------

1) As a porter, I am already sure, making port, that "distfile has not
been corrupted", there is no needs to reflect it in the commit message
somehow.

2) As a porter, all I do is the port and it is not mine task to do needed
tests to be sure that distfile is not "maliciously altered". Probably it
is local security officer task.

2.1) For binary port (as example, in my conflict) code analyze needed,
using debugger or something like. I not plan to dedicate my life time to
single port, it is local security officer task, if he think that
application is critical for local system.

3) Running "relevant diffs between the original and new distfile" is not
porter task too. Probably it is local security officer task. It have
nothing common with porting, i.e. tuning application for FreeBSD.

3.1) As a porter, not a developer, I may not fully understand every change
that developers made without any announce.

3.1.1) Even if I understand some of them during the porting work, it not
means I must describe them, it is developers task to describe their
product changes.

4) "The author or maintainer should be contacted to find out why the
distfile has changed". This is local security officer task too. To be
involved in such mail exchanges with developers, i.e. to educate them to
not re-roll distfiles without version number change, to ask to describe
what realy happens - I don't have time and resources for all of that, it
is not porter task.

What I suggest? Remove that rule. Porter commit message something like
"Distfile re-rolled without name change" should bring enough local
security officer attention.

To resolve my conflict I ask all interested parts to consider my statement
and issue some resolution about rule 10.4.4.

In case this rule stays as is, I forced to officially declare that I will
not touch any re-rolled port anymore until its version number will be
changed, since following 10.4.4 rule is against principles of common sense
in form I have them.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Andrey A. Chernov