Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 00:48:52 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, kris@obsecurity.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My position on commiters guide 10.4.4

Not that I am a porter or even close to, but I thnk that your proposed rule
below (I won't port any application which has changed without a version
number change) is a reasonable one.

Really, ports that change without version number changes are a real pain to
deal with, and a new port should be rolled up for them only if there is a
very good reason (which the porter understands), which is all this rule seems
to be saying.

So your position of simply not updating the port until the version number
does change certainly seems reasonable to me.

If there's somebody else who needs your port _so_ bad that he _must_ get it
before the version number changes then *he* can do the ports and fill in all
the necessary information.

Am I missing something here?

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go