Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:28:50 -0400
From:      Anthony Jenkins <abjenkins@attbi.com>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KSE M-III status & junior hacker project.

On Monday 2002-July-08 14:08, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>=20
> On a new kernel I appear to be getting dumps now (along with the crashe=
> ;). Actually it's pretty stable, but there are random crashes occuring,
> usually I come back to the machine when I've not used it for a new hour=
> and find it in rebooted and in the kernel debugging due to those "pcm m=
ay
> sleep locked" type things.

I've been looking at the pcm code and I can see where it locks, then allo=
cates=20
memory with the M_WAITOK flag thing.  I'm wondering if there's a standard=
=20
procedure for fixing these... would I just nail down the malloc to a=20
non-sleepable one?  Also the lock could be freed before it's unlocked... =
is=20
this okay?  I'm guessing it is...

=09mtx_assert(mtx, MA_OWNED);
=09mtx_destroy(mtx);

Every time I load my sound driver, top(1) shows the irq10 entry to be loc=
ked=20
in "*Giant" state, and if I unload it and do a kldstat it's instant panic=
=2E

I finally shelled out Radio Shack's ridiculous amount for a null modem ca=
ble=20
and can do remote debugging now, but I can't remember the URL for that re=
cent=20
series of articles on getting started with CURRENT debugging...anyone?

TIA,
Anthony