Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:33:09 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>
To:        Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system wishlist

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:59:26AM -0700, Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group wrote:

> o	Optional installation of sources.  RH's SRPM's is a very poor
> 	example of this.  A better example would be what IBM does to
> 	install JES/2 on their MVS system, e.g. an OpenSSH package might
> 	contain source in addition to binaries.  The sources would be
> 	installed in /usr/src while the binaries would be installed
> 	in /usr/bin, sbin....

Err, you mean sources of base or what?  Otherwise, installing anything
other than base in /usr/{bin,sbin,src} seems kinda, uhm, wrong, not to
say more.

> o	Files replaced by a package backed up in case of package removal

This is probably a good point, but IMHO it is better to make sure (at
least try to) that such thing does not [regularly?] happen.

> o	Check option:  Tell me what it will do without doing it
>
> o 	Group option:  Install prerequisites
>
> o	Groupextend option:  Install postrequisites, e.g. dependent
> 	packages and patches
>
> o	Ability to install my own packages on top of packages and
> 	patches, I like to call them USERMODS.

This is also something that currently is not implemented (considered?
designed?) very well.  Ideally, ports should go in /usr/pkg or /opt,
while local user's bits should go in /usr/local.

> o	The package system should be independent of the compression tool
> 	used.  In the future new compression algorithms and tools will
> 	be developed.  The package system should be flexible enough to
> 	not care how its files are compressed or packaged.

I believe it's quite easy to implement a some kind of wrapper to provide
this functionality.

> o	The ability to export and import the package database (currently
> 	to clone systems, I rsync /usr/local, /usr/X11R6, and /var/db/pkg
> 	to a new system I am installing, this saves many hours of work).

Sounds good to me.

> > o	I want to be able to remove system components, like "sendmail"
> > 	and "OpenSSH".
>
> Ideally everything should install as a package, however that would

Currently, I cannot agree with this.  I had enough head ache in the past
dealing with packages of "compatibility symlinks", man pages, and so on,
which seems overly ridiculous to me.  I don't consider this worthwhile.
Generally, I prefer base as monolithic collection of bits.

./danfe