Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:19:11 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swapoff?

Thus spake Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>:
>     Implementing swapoff is a bunch of grunt-work but not too hard in
>     concept.  Basically the work involved is this:

Sounds like a plan, and not too tricky.  Perhaps I'll see if I can
figure it out when I have some free time.

> 	* Make a calculation to be sure that it is possible to turn off
> 	  the swap device and not run the system out of VM.  If it is not
> 	  possible do not allow the swapoff.

Can't you have a race condition here where you decide that you
have enough space, and by the time you've deallocated half of the
swapfile that's no longer the case?  It seems like the correct
thing to do in that case is abort the system call (which could be
painful).  Perhaps the best thing to do in this case is wait for
vm_pageout_scan to kill a few pigs.