Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:57:45 +0400
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@freebsd.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftpd(8) DoS: SIZE in ASCII mode

Hi everybody,

I've been pointed out by Maxim Konovalov recently that our stock
ftpd(8) allowed an easy DoS attack against a server running it by
issuing numerous "SIZE" commands on huge files when in ASCII mode.
In this case, ftpd(8) has to read a whole file instead of just
issuing a single stat(2) syscall, thus eating up the server's
disk bandwidth.

The obvious solution is to disable the "SIZE" command when in ASCII
mode.  So I'd like to ask the community whether anyone thinks there
must be an option to enable it back.  Personally, I feel the command
must be disabled completely (for ASCII mode, of course) since I see
no good use for it at all.

--
Yar