Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:27:02 -0700
From:      "Harondel J. Sibble" <help@pdscc.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems with freebsd access point setup as per sysadmin mag

Okay

I'm having some problems getting a Windows98 client connecting to a FreeBSD
access point as setup using this info

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=7121/sam0205a/sam0205a.htm

and I am not sure if my problems are with the Win98 side or the FreeBSD side.

Ok, I am using the 4.6 stanza for the card in /etc/pccard.conf, that works
out fine except when the card it detecteed, I see the following:

Card "The Linksys Group, Inc."("Instant Wireless Network PC Card")
[ISL37300P] [RevA] matched "The Linksys Group, Inc."("Instant Wireless
Network PC Card" [(null)] [(null)]
wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at 0x240-0x27f irq 11 flags 0x10000 slot 1 of
pccard1
wi0: Ethernet address: 00:06:25:a9:19:aa

Then running the script from the article (slightly modified for testing

*****************************
#!/bin/sh
# Run via the sh shell

wicontrol -f 7
# Sets the wireless card's frequency.  Legally, the range is from 1
# (2.412 GHz) to 11 (2.462 GHz) in the US, 1 to 13 (2.472 GHz) in
# Europe, 10 (2.457 GHz) to 13 in France, and 1 to 14 (2.484 GHz)
# in Japan.  Choose another frequency if desired.

wicontrol -p 1
# BSS mode, meaning clients must associate with an access point,
# and cannot directly connect to one another.

wicontrol -c 1
# IBSS mode, an extention of BSS mode.

wicontrol -s "mobileaccess"
# Sets the station name.  Does not have to match host's DNS name.

wicontrol -k "12345"
# The WEP key.  Change to something a bit less obvious.

wicontrol -e 0
# disables WEP security, use "1" to enable

ifconfig wi0 ssid "foofara"
# Sets the name of the wireless network.

ifconfig wi0 inet 10.0.0.77 netmask 255.255.255.0
# Sets the IP address and netmask of the wireless device.  Change
# the device name if necessary.
*****************************

Usually I was running the script manually after the card had been initialized
by pccardd. That would result in following error

wicontrol: SIOCGWAVELAN: invalid argument

However if I manually type in all the same commands, the error above does not
show up.

Also throughout all this, the following message is popping up on screen and
getting logged:

Aug 4 16:11:43 mobilestuff /kernel: wi0: timeout in wi_seek to 0/0; last
status 4000.

Also even though I set the channel/frequency to 7, both ifconfig and
wicontrol show the current channel as being 3 which is the default.  Ifconfig
also shows " status: no carrier." Is this normal?

Another item I am confused about is when running wicontrol without any
switches, it shows "Port Type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc)     [ 2347]"  What does that
mean? I can't find anything on the 2,4, or 7 flags,

On the other side of the world, the win98 laptop running the same Linksys
WPC11 V3.0 card can't see the FreeBSD access point. It is configured to use
10.0.0.75 as it's ip address and is set to infrastructure mode, same SSID and
auto rate detection.  In that mode, it doesn't find anything. However if
switch to add-hoc mode, it establishes a connection with at least one or two
other cards that appear to be online in my vicinity.  There are multiple
BSSID's that show up depending on what channel I select.

Any suggestions on what to look at/do next????

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting