Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:22:56 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd dies on attempt to open non-passive ftp

Very closely related it ipfw, natd.

After the spate of ssh announcements last week I upgraded the office
FreeBSD firewall/router to the latest RELENG_4 as of the morning of
August 1. Is still using the default ipfw.

My natd.conf file is thus:

log_facility security
log_denied yes
dynamic yes
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes
punch_fw 2610:90

Passive ftp has never worked for me thru IPFW/divert/natd but
non-passive ftp works peachy. Until today when we dropped off the
internet when I thought to visit ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.

Having tried passive and non-passive several times now I never see an
entry listed in "ipfw list" when I attempt a passive connection. Then
again it doesn't get thru either. And doesn't kill natd.

Non-passive I can get all the way thru login. Natd dies on opening a
data connection such as "ls". No rules added in ipfw between 2610 and
2699.

No message in /var/log/messages. No .core files.

Am going to have a go at ipfw2. Currently suspect some of the changes to
support ipfw2 have inadvertantly touched ipfw1 but sniffing around I
can't find them.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net