Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:17:02 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Oleg Polyakov <opolyakov@yahoo.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Initial congestion window increase

You're assuming that the jumbo will be the successful MTU.  But at
the start of a connection PMTUD has yet to run, and you could be
sending jumbos into a choppy link somewhere on the path.

The tcp-impl IETF WG had (and the email list still has) a very smart
bunch of people with decades of experience with TCP.  Those RFCs
didn't just come out of somebody's idle thought.

Slowstart flightsize doesn't matter a whole lot on a lan (as long
as it's at least 2 to compensate for delayed ack) other than for
locker-room comparisons with Linux.  But it does matter a lot on
long pipes, whether fat or thin, and that's where the risk of
an overaggressive strategy is that you can congest the Internet.

--
Barney Wolff
I'm available by contract or FT:  http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf