Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 01:33:21 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>, Oleg Polyakov <opolyakov@yahoo.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Initial congestion window increase

RFC2414-5 say no more than 4380, so your first example is wrong.
And why do you assume that the jumbo stops at your border?  Lots of
people connect over non-local areas at gigE, these days.  I don't
know that they use jumbo, but I don't know that they don't.

Internet congestion is measured in bits, not packets.  Links don't
care about packets and these days neither do routers.

Generally, we should just do what the RFCs say, rather than trying
to rethink every issue.  It's really quite rare that the TCP RFCs
are shown to be wrong, and the people who do it get famous.  The
OS's that deliberately flout the RFCs get famous too, in another way.

--
Barney Wolff
I'm available by contract or FT:  http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf