Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:34:57 -0400
From:      Josh Elsasser <jre@vineyard.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   HostAP on a DWL-520 prism2 PCI card

I am having trouble setting up my prism2-based dwl-520 pci card.  The
card is recognized when I load the if_wi driver:

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xeb103000-0xeb103fff irq 11 at device 14.0 on pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:05:5d:ed:af:52
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.00.05, Station 1.03.04

If I turn on hostap with `ifconfig wi0 mediaopt hostap` and use all
the default settings (aside from assigning an IP address), it seems to
work.  I can see the hostap machine using either NetBSD, MacOS X, or
Windows XP clients (all with lucent-like cards) but cannot associate.

One odd thing is that after 5-10 minutes, the hostap machine is no
longer visible to clients.  I usually just unload and load the if_wi
module to reset it then.

I am running FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE from Aug 7 on the hostap machine, and
I have version 1.7.2.4 of /sys/dev/wi/wi_hostap.c.

I have spent much time searching the freebsd-mobile archives, as well
as the rest of the web via google.  All I have managed to turn up is
that this card should work without any difficulties.  Is there really
something broken in my case, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

 -jre