Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:59:57 +0100
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When to consider the new scehduler?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:17:28AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
| Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
| > A couple of months ago, I saw a note on daemonnews that there was a
| > patch for a proportional share scheduler.  When would this work better
| > than the existing priority feedback scheduler?
| >
| > NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.
|
| Basically, you use it if you expect the system to be overloaded,
| and don't want to spend the engineering effort to prevent/handle
| the overload, and astill want the system to degrade gracefully.

Ah, I see.

| thrashing, but the result was that the X server had sufficiently
| good interactive response to fullfill the "move mouse -> wiggle
| cursor" requirement amd avoid cognitive dissonance on the part
| of the user attached to the mouse.  8-).

Why don't they just add an extra CPU to handle the GUI??  ;-)

| Here is an introduction from a moderately good paper on the subject.

Interesting how these 'fundamental' concepts of CS are still being
researched/refined over the years.  Unix already applies so much
research and development that was found to have real-world
practicality, and yet still there is room for improvement in at least
some circumstances.

I'll check out these papers you referred to.

| For my money, the algorithm to use in networking equipment, in
| which you want to optimize packet throughput, is Weighted Fair
| Share Queueing (as in the IBM/UMass work on QLinux, which also

It would be nice if the 'instant workstation' port tweaked the system
settings to meet a balance between needs of the network and needs of
the user.  Things like scheduler, sysctl settings, and so on.

Of course, that's a bit of overkill, wouldn't ya say?  ;-)

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.