Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:47:23 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com, Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports and /usr/local/java

> 1.  JAR files:  /usr/local/share/java/classes  (sax, xerces do this
> already) 2.  Non JAR class packages and support files:
> /usr/local/share/java/%%JAVA_VER%%/%%PKG_NAME%%/
> (jedit does this, while wrapped with an executable in /usr/local/bin)
> 3.  Documentation:  /usr/local/share/doc/%%PKG_NAME%%/
> 4.  "toolkit" ports go into /usr/ports/devel ... perhaps prefixed with
> "java-" 5.  Applications go wherever they should be classified, no prefix.

See my proposed solution. It's pretty much alike.

> While it's little more than a technical point, the term "JDK" has been
> retired by Sun ... it's now "SDK", going back to 1.2.x.

Yeah, but Sun has always had a schizofrenic way of naming things (not unlike
many other IT companies, like Intel or Microsoft). Why does Solaris 6
identify itself as SunOS 2.6, for instance? And why is version 1.2 of the
Java SDK named Java 2? And then version 1.3 is suddenly not named Java 3, but
Java 2 version 1.3? Both their naming scheme and their versioning scheme are
a bit weird IMHO.

Anyway, the developer community calls a JDK a JDK, because that's the term
everybody got used to, and it's much easier than saying Java 2 SDK or Java 2
SE SDK or anything like that. Don't forget that we're dealing with J2SE here,
not J2EE or J2ME or anything like that...

And I also wonder why the URL

   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.2/
                       ^^^^
redirects me and takes me here: