Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:50:59 +0200
From:      Arnvid Karstad <arnvid@karstad.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with FreeBSD - causing zalloc to return 0 ?!

Hiya all,

We've been troubled by "Fatal trap 12"'s for a little
while now. The machine was running 4.6 perfectly, until
I decided to try a cvs up to RELENG_4_6 about a week ago.
Then it started to crash alot, we went back to RELENG_4.
And there were no problems there. But then we decided to
send in an error report http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=42046
and went back to RELENG_4_6.... After going through alot
of testing, kernel testing, and other funny things we
decided to end the testing and go back to RELENG_4...
Voila... The problems where now resident in that CVS Tag
also. We have found a working workaround by adding the
following to the kernel config:

options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT

running the kernel with GENERIC instead of our custom
kernel makes the system panic alot faster. It would seem
that zalloc return's 0 when it shouldn't be able to do
that.

There are more incidents like this at several other
machines that were upgraded at the same time.

Anyone know of a better workaround than using INVARIANTS?

Mvh/Best regards,

Arnvid L. Karstad