Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:51:05 +0200
From:      Birger Toedtmann <birger@takatukaland.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   bge problems (was: gigabit NIC of choice?)

Hi,

> What's the gigabit ethernet NIC of choice these days?  (I've had good
> experiences with the NetGear G620T, but apparently this card is no
> longer being sold.)
[ discussion followed ]

just as this comes up, I have a question.  Has anyone had experiences
with the bge driver and related cards?  We had some weird problems here
lately:

 - bought two 3com 996-SX (fiber) cards and plugged them into
   ASUS A7M266-D boards with AMD Athlon 1.8GHz CPUs,

 - brought up FBSD 4.6 and tried some networking

 -->> All packets (to and fro) that where bigger than total IP length
      of 214 bytes were garbled.  To be more specific, it seemed to
      us that some 8 byte regions haven't been copied correctly from
      the cards at some point when the packets were larger.

(The boards worked fine with normal 100Mbit cards, BTW.)

To make matters more interesting, we then put the (Gbit) cards into
AMD-Duron-700MHz-Systems with 32bit bus only - as apposed to the A7M266-D
which had a 64bit bus:

 -->> The cards worked just fine with all sorts (and sizes) of packets,
      but performance was - surpise, surprise - limited to 0.25 Gbit.

So it seems there is some problem with the bge driver/card/64bit bus.
Does the scenario ring a bell to someone of you?

Regards,

Birger