Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:13:56 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sem_* API

* Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com> [020916 18:32] wrote:
> [ switching to -standards if that's OK ]

That's fine, but please keep me on the cc list as I'm not subscribed
to many lists right now.

> On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > Does it make sense for these to actually be in libc?  This is
> > because they can be used to inter-process syncronization, not
> > just between threads...
>
> Well, Solaris has them in librt (real-time) and not in libthread
> or libpthread.  POSIX/Austin/SUSv3 define these to be part of the
> real-time extensions also.
>
> Since our other real-time stuff (sched_*) is in libc, I'd say they
> really belong in libc.  There is an option for semaphores too
> (_POSIX_SEMAPHORES); you probably want to define that if it isn't
> already (<sys/unistd.h> I think).
>
> Can they be implemented as standalone syscalls in libc, and then
> wrapped by libc_r?  They needn't be wrapped at all in libpthread
> unless we want to make them faster for the non-shared case.

Ok, so I'm going to put them into src/lib/libc/sys/sem.c. :)

Question, besideds removing the inclusion of pthread_private.h
and axing the __weak_reference's, is any other special handling
required?

Updated delta here:

I've moved uipc_sem.c from kern to posix4/posix4_sem.c and made it
optional as well as put the code into libc.

http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/deltas/sem.diff.gz

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]