Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 01:09:14 -0700
From:      "David P. Reese Jr." <daver@gomerbud.com>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just a wild idea

On Mon, 23 Sep, 2002, Lamont Granquist wrote:
>> Maybe just replace all suser(9) uses with MAC credential checks, and
>> install MAC_UNIX by default, which would be set up to behave like
>> ye olden UNIX...  Who knows.
>
>Something like that sounds like a really good idea.  I'd like to see this
>not only for binding to low ports but also, for example, to set the system
>time -- this would let you run ntpd as non-root.
>
>It'd be interesting to have a system one day where once you've gone past
>single user mode, root drops all its privs and acts just like a normal
>user account and daemon accounts only have special privs handed out to
>them in little chunks.

This is starting to sound a bit too much like Plan9.  Here is a very short
snippit on filesystem permissions from the document at:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/KFS_file_system_configuration/index.html

[snip]
There is no super-user; the closest equivalent is the person who booted the
terminal (generically called Eve; Adm owns the file server). Most devices are
owned by Eve, and the local kernel will let Eve do most things commonly
associated with a super-user (for example, debug or kill processes she
doesn't own). Eve's power does not extend past the local machine, though, or
even into the kfs file system. The important difference is that the kfs file
system is being provided by a user process, which has its own permissions
checking separate from the kernel, and it does not care to let the hostowner
have special permissions directly.
[snip]

--

   David P. Reese Jr.                                      daver@gomerbud.com