Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:11:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   troubles with recent -current

Hi! I'm experiencing an increasing amount of problems here, and will
try to list them below. Some of this may be well known already, but,
hopefully, something will be usefull.

Unless I set rc_ng to NO, the ypbind will not start, even though
enable_nis_client is set and "Starting ypbind" is displayed on boot.

Attempts to shutdown gracefully result in panic -- negative refcount in
vnrele (vfrele?) in vnclose() called from vnclosefile() -- can not be
more precise without the serial console and another machine.

X-server was working fine up to a few weeks ago. With Sep 17th kernel
it began crashing every few days. With today's kernel the whole machine
reboots after a few minutes in X11, although it can go through kernel
(and/or XFree86-4) build in text only mode. I rebuilt XFree86-4-libraries
and -Server to be sure, but it is not helping :-\

sc (or tty*?) appears to be broken -- every once in a while a particular
virtual terminal gets locked out. If root was logged in on it, the syslog
messages still appear, but there is no cursor and no input. The sure way
to replicate is to try to login somewhere with ssh. After the password
prompt, the tty is disabled.

Actually, I just replicated this with vt instead of sc. Except that in
sc-mode, once you leave the tty (with Alt-Fx), you can not get back to
it. With vt you can. Exiting elm will hose the tty with vt (TERM set
to pcvt25). Running mergemaster with sc will hose the tty too eventually.

Actually, ssh does the same to xterm too -- and that's the way to reboot
the whole machine.

For whatever reason, with vt instead of sc, the Alt key is not usable
under X11 -- I usually move windows around with Alt-left-mbutton, which
does not work now. Could be a pilot error, of course, for I've never used
vt before.

	-mi