Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:53:24 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        "C T" <willtop27@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need some help...

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:46:12 -0700
"C T" <willtop27@hotmail.com> wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> My name is Craig and I am in the process of forming a non-profit
> organization that takes old computers (286's etc...), setting them up
> for email, word processing, internet browsing, spread sheets, and them
> giving them to people who can't afford computers.
>
> One of my obstacles is finding an OS package similar to MS-DOS, but
> doesn't cost money.
>
> Does FreeBSD distribute something simple that would operate on older
> machines?
>
> Thank you,
> Craig

Craig,

I volunteer at an organization here in Portland, OR that generally does
what you are describing.  It is called FreeGeek (www.freegeek.org).
FreeGeek usually recycles anything less than a Pentium (i.e. 286, 386,
486).  The current processor specification for computers that are put
back out into the community are Pentium 166MHz-233MHz.  The full specs
are at http://www.freegeek.org/freekbox.html.  Believe it or not, we
seem to receive plenty of donated machines that fall into this range.
FreeGeek is currently installing Debian Linux on these machines.  Trust
me when I tell you that even a P166 with 80MB RAM (72 pin SIMMs) is just
fast enough to make X, Mozilla and a few other applications run
reasonably.  Of course, if you plan to put out non-graphical, text only,
console basesd machines then a lower spec may work for you.  In any
case, if you plan to run X and any sort of browser you probably don't
want to go below a P100, and even this is pushing it a bit.  I've talked
to a few people at FreeGeek about getting FreeBSD on some of the boxes,
but they are too firmly entrenched in Linux.

Good luck,
Nathan