Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:40:19 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/init init.c

On 2002-Sep-27 09:02:28 -0700, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>jhb         2002/09/27 09:02:28 PDT
>
>  Modified files:
>    sbin/init            init.c
>  Log:
>  Give up on a tty if opening it's special file returns ENOENT like we do
>  for
>  ENXIO.
>
>  Glanced at by:  imp, gallatin
>
>  Revision  Changes    Path
>  1.52      +1 -1      src/sbin/init/init.c

I can see why this change might be useful in conjunction with DEVFS
but I have a problem with this change.  In particular, I have a number
of systems that rely on the old functionality.  This is now also
inconsistent with the documentation in init(8).

The old behaviour is documented in init(8) as follows:
     Init can also be used to keep arbitrary daemons running, automatically
     restarting them if they die.  In this case, the first field in the
     ttys(5) file must not reference the path to a configured device node and
     will be passed to the daemon as the final argument on its command line.
     This is similar to the facility offered in the AT&T System V UNIX
     /etc/inittab.

This means that I could include the following line in /etc/ttys
  proxy2  "/usr/local/libexec/proxy2 -f /usr/local/etc/proxy.ports" none on
and init would happily run my program (because /dev/proxy2 does not
exist), restarting it if it died.

Looking through the error returns from open(2), it looks like the
"persistent daemon" approach is still possible by using a device name
like "null/foo" - which will generate ENOTDIR.

Peter