Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:38:42 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest033@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        berninme@muohio.edu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failed install of 4.7 on laptop...

On Monday 14 October 2002 02:35 pm, Mike Berning appears to have=20
written:
> When I attempt to install FreeBSD 4.7, or any 4.x for that matter, I
> recieve this error during the initial boot.
>
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor =3D 0x8086, dev =3D 0x2445) at 31.5 irq 11
> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor =3D 0x8086, dev =3D 0x2445) at 31.6 irq 11

Unless something changed with 4.7, that error shouldn't prevent=20
installation, unless the unknown card was some critical device,=20
like your hard drive.  If it is simply your sound card, the install=20
should continue happily without it.

> I've tried doing a kernel configuration to disable device pci0, but
> it says that this device doesn't exist. I know that pci0 is my
> soundcard because I tried to install 5.0 and it showed that it was
> multimedia device and soundcard. There is no way to disable sound in
> the bios. Does anybody have an idea about how to get around this
> problem, thanks in advance, mike

Are you getting any other error messages or clues?  Is the error=20
message above the last thing that appears on the screen?  If not,=20
what is?

- Bob