Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:42:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@wemm.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

In message: <3DBAE1FA.2010209@acm.org>
            Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org> writes:
: Peter Wemm wrote:
:
: > 'make installworld' without ... a new kernel would be rather messy.
:
: > ... a reminder of the sequence is probably in order:
: >  buildworld
: >  buildkernel
: >  installkernel
: >  reboot
: >  installworld
: >  reboot
:
:
: This _does_not_work_ because 'installkernel' does
: not update the bootblocks.  It should.  Otherwise,
: 'installkernel' is not filling it's contract: it is
: not ensuring that the next boot uses the new kernel.

Are you sure you need new bootblocks?  I've not had issues and am
pretty careless about when I do installworld vs installkernel.

You need them for the 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade, but I didn't think you've
needed new ones for a long time now.

Warner