Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:04:27 -0800
From:      Justin Burke <mlist-freebsd@alt255.com>
To:        Boryan Yotov <test@prosyst.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding defaultroute

* Boryan Yotov (test@prosyst.com) wrote:
> Otherwise simply change the following entry from /etc/rc,conf:
>
> defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx rl0"

Yeah, that didn't work.... Invalid ifconfig syntax.

But I did locate where in the rc.network script that default routes are
taken care of:

        # Set up any static routes.  This should be done before router discovery.
        #
        if [ -n "${static_routes}" ]; then
                for i in ${static_routes}; do
                        eval route_args=\$route_${i}
                        route add ${route_args}
                done
        fi

The problem is that by this time in the script, I already have a default
route. I've fixed the problem by adding

route change default xx.xx.xx.x

to my rc.local. But isn't this defeating the purpose of the defaultroute
variable?

Justin