Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:41:08 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Kieser <pfak@telus.net>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's momentum and future prospects

On 2002-12-21 23:51, Peter Kieser <pfak@telus.net> wrote:
> On the other hand, my favourite feature of FreeBSD is the Kernel
> Configuration, it has a nice GENERIC kernel, as Linux does not..

That's nice indeed.  I like the way that the kernel is configured in
the BSD world a whole lot better.  I find it a lot easier to edit a
simple text file, comment this here, uncomment that elsewhere, than
the `Linux wway' which seems to involve a lot of struggling with menu
options (at least, the last time I checked).

> Where all the hardware you would probably need is in the
> configuration file already, also even if you  have everything in the
> kernel is really not all that bloated.

This is not really very true, I'm afraid.  The FreeBSD kernel takes
more disk space in most cases.  The memory footprint is something I'm
not fit to talk about.  But I can see the following:

	freebsd5 % ls -l /boot/kernel/kernel
	-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3076790 Dec 22 02:30 /boot/kernel/kernel
	linux-2.4.17 % ls -l /boot/kernel
	-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       733501 Feb  2  2002 kernel

The file sizes are very different.  Of course, this depends on the
configuration of the kernels, and this particular Linux kernel is
trimmed down for efficiency (it needs to be able to support an IRC
server), but the kernel files are more or less of the same size as
most of the kernels I've seen on these two platforms.

- Giorgos