Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:33:31 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        "Tim J. Robbins" <tjr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc_r/man sem_init.3

* Tim J. Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.org> [030113 20:12] wrote:
> tjr         2003/01/13 20:12:33 PST
>
>   Modified files:
>     lib/libc_r/man       sem_init.3
>   Log:
>   Sharing semaphores between processes works now, so remove the stale comments
>   about it always returning EPERM. Document that ENFILE occurs when the
>   limit on kernel semaphores is reached.

Uh, they can't work.  The code should be patched to return EPERM
for shared as:

1) we can't share pthread_mutexes/condvars between processes yet.
2) we allocate the space this puts the actual data into private
   heap memory so that even if you give the pointer to another process
   it is meaningless unless they are sharing the same vmspace.

I appreciate the other work you've done here, however in the future
please contact me so that this sort of useless work can be avoided.
I could have easily explained the problem had you contacted me first.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]