Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:22:50 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TV tuner in Australia

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:44:04PM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:04:02 +1100
> Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> wrote:
>
> SB> bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, msp3400c stereo.
>
> 	This has always puzzled me - the BT848 documentation talks about
> autodetecting PAL/NTSC - so I'm not sure what's special about the tuner
> between PAL and NTSC. OTOH both exist and I'm sure there's a reason :(
> Certainly every working setup I know of has tuner type matching signal
> type.
>
> SB> pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x109e, dev=0x0878) at 9.1 irq
>
> 	Don't worry about this one - everyone with an 878 card gets it
> AFAICT.

Phew. That's one niggly I can cross of my list.

> SB> Now those who understand TV tell me that we use PAL B here, and that
> SB> we can get both VHS and UHF which is better. I only have a VHS
> SB> external antenna, and a small indoor one which does UHF. A real TV
>
> 	It all depends on what that tuner covers - it should be described
> on the little scrap of paper that passes for a manual :)

Not that I could see. It only tells you to open the case and plug it
in, then does a big sales pitch on its Microsoft software and what
extra fun you could have if you had a room full of other equipment
to link up with. The most technical term in it is 'computer case'.

> 	I found it easier to work with frequency settings than trying
> to use the channel tables which never seemed to get everything. Mplayer
> is a convenient tool for TV by frequency BTW (it also does much nicer
> full screen than fxtv).
>
> SB> Am I likely to be seeing sound problems similar to PR kern/46872 ?
> SB> If so, that patch looks like it has all the wrong numbers for me :-(
>
> 	Yes - the workaround described in the PR should work for you
> if you can't apply the patches.

Actually, I can't use that workaround (running a radio app first to
get sound, then switching to TV) because this tuner card doesn't
do radio. While I could apply the patches I guess, they seem to be
adding support specifically for a completely different tuner. If you
compare the person's dmesg with the patches, you'll see a lot of
numbers from one have been deliberately incorporated in the other.
It doesn't match my data and I haven't worked out my own version of
the patch because I don't understand what it does, or read C for
that matter.

> SB> If this card simply isn't ever going to work, for which reason and
>
> 	I have bad feelings about that NTSC tuner - if you bought it
> locally take it back and complain loudly (unless NTSC is also common
> around you in which case they should be used to it so ask nicely). If you
> bought it long distance get the next one locally or from a PAL country
> (Europe mostly but watch out for SECAM).

Apparently this model does support PAL, according to the Singapore web site.
I can only assume that if Singapore uses the same model number, they
have the same item. There seems little more technical information
available anywhere. The main Hauppauge site reads as if this model
never existed, probably because it's not useful in the USA.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-