Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:51:43 +0100
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftp-master.eu in Europe

Hi Jun,

Jun Kuriyama wrote on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:58:00AM +0900:
[..]
> I'd like to call for donation to achieve tiered mirror topology.
> I want to set up a box in Europe which is:
>
>   o Provides primary mirror source for Europe (and around Europe) sites.
>   o Synchronizes with ftp-master at high frequency.
>     (hopefully 1 hour period)
>
> To set this up, I want some donations like this:
>
>   o Dedicated bandwidth (which can eat full of 100Mbps?) with
>     operator (box reset, console access).
We could provide this.

>   o Dedicated box (FreeBSD with 160GB+ disk, 2GB+ memory).
However, this will be a problem, since you want the
ftp-master.eu not to host any other services and do not
provide anonymous access.

We have a box like this in production, but it is a public
server, and (among others) hosts ftp4.de.freebsd.org
and cvsup3.de.freebsd.org.

If I understand you correctly, it could not act as
ftp-master.eu (although it runs FreeBSD).

But if the hardware gets donated, I can hook it up
to our network (even Gigabit uplink may be possible),
and take care of it.

> This box will not provide anonymous access (access from official
> mirrors only).

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock              - Truth lies in the eye of the beholder -
*Daniel Lang * dl@leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/*