Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:24:33 +0100
From:      Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ftp-master.eu in Europe

Hi Jun,

Jun Kuriyama wrote on Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 10:10:18PM +0900:
[..]
> Thank you for your offer.  I'm changing my mind from "central
> ftp-master in Europe" to "some of regional ftp-master in Europe".
>
> So, if your box can provide prioritied access to lower-tier mirrors,
> that's good for me.  Only my concern is when release is rolled out,
I have an rsyncd on an additional interface, which can be
configured to allow access only for registered users. So at
least priority in terms of connections is no problem.
Further I will try to implement Littleboy's collection-files
to offer the FreeBSD archive via CVSup as well.

For the collections, it would be important to get them updated
if something on the ftp-master changes, just like the "self-supfile"
for the CVS repository, but nobody came up with something, yet.

> many anonymous users will come and mirroring to lower-tier may blocked
> and slowed down.
Yes, this is also currently the case, and not just by a new FreeBSD
release. Our box is also heavily loaded during Mandrake and RedHat
releases. Other archive parts do not seem to attract that many
users. This may be a problem.

> If you think your environment have enough bandwidth and prioritied
> access method for lower-tier, please become one of ftp-master.
Bandwith is no issue, our main uplink to the G-Win
(german academic network) has been upgraded to 2GB/s, and we
have a Gigabit connections straight through.
CPU/Ram seems to be bottleneck, although our box is a
Dual 2.4GHz Xeon with 2GB RAM.
Hmm, maybe I could get another box, but not enough additional
diskspace, I could use NFS, though, but I'm not sure, if
thats a good idea?

> At this time, I have two offers for this topic (yours in Germany, and
> one in Czech).  Then, let's try with them.  We'll have (at least) two
Aye, Rudolf has just wrote, as well.

> frequently synchronized boxen as:
>
> o ftp-master.cz.FreeBSD.org
> o ftp-master.de.FreeBSD.org
>
> If these will work well, announces to this list (hubs@) to use these
> ftp-masters for European mirrors.

Ok, I suggest, we wait a few days for addtional comments and
opinions, and then decide and possibly implement it.

Best regards,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock     - Agartim billiard bumba m'abdul in papejim twista
-  rumba rock n rolla. Leik'ab mai. Spirzon Heroin se'osit gaula.     -