Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:53:35 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to teach config(8) about "platforms".

[sorry -- dropping in the middle of the thread]

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:08:30PM -0800, Juli Mallett wrote:

> This approach is a really bad one architecturally, in my opinion.  It means
> there is a lot of duplication of what may all be VERY similar, and it means
> that if we had say 5 platforms supported by the MIPS port (certainly this is
> not a high number at all) that means there would be 5 directories under
> src/sys...  And none of them would be "mips" since we wouldn't be supporting
> any hardware called "mips", that's just the general architecture.

I tend to agree.

> I just really would like things to be clean, and abstracted, and not waste
> anyone's time.  Why should we have to duplicate so much code?

I'm not sure platform is the answer. We already have the distinction
between MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE and it looks to me that MACHINE can
do what you try to achieve with platform. Why add a "platform"
keyword to config(8) if we already have the "machine" keyword?