Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:07:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        Vincent Jardin <vjardin@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New version of ngATM

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Vincent Jardin wrote:

VJ>Le Vendredi 7 F?vrier 2003 17:52, Harti Brandt a ?crit :

VJ>> this version contains a number of bug fixes. The biggest change is, that
VJ>> it now runs on sparc64. So I expect most byte-order and word-size related
VJ>> problems to be fixed (in fact there were almost no such problems). It is
VJ>> now possible to use PCA200 and HE155 cards in sparcs. The drivers are
VJ>> fully busdmayfied.
VJ>
VJ>
VJ>I am using the HARP's drivers and the HARP stack with the VBR, CBR and
VJ>UBR in order to support the RFC 1483. It works very well. ;-)

The HARP drivers are i386 only. Conerting to busdma is a major effort,
especially if they must work on 64-bit platforms, which are now tier-1.

VJ>The idea of ngATM sounds nice : it provides a good new driver in order to
VJ>support the HFA 155 board. However, HARP provides already most of the ATM
VJ>features. However the HARP stack lacks of :
VJ>   - drivers:
VJ>            + up to now there is no ADSL driver ;-(
VJ>            + there is no OC12 driver

The HE driver should also support the HE622. At least I have the code
there. I think we have such boards here, if there is serious interest, I
will try it.

VJ>   - features:
VJ>            + soft SAR that could be required by many ADSL drivers.

That is actually easy. I have written AAL5 SAR code more often then I
wish I had.

VJ>            + OAM F4 and F5 support

Well, the main problem with this is to get a nice interface between the
components. The actual programming should be not to hard (provided the
cards support this).

VJ>Before integrating a third ATM stack that has a good architecture, it
VJ>seems better to enhance the HARP stack that is very stable for a long
VJ>time (4 years).

To be honest I greatly doubt, that there are many people that are going
enhance HARP. The last time the stack was broken (when -CURRENT startet)
it took several month to fix it. Fixing it for 64-bit platforms is, I
suppose, a major rewrite. Also calling NATM an ATM stack is far too
ambitious - it is a hack, albeit a very clever one.

VJ>Could you describe the differences between ngATM and HARP ?

From the design perspective: I prefer to have the components of the ATM
stack more independent of each other. This makes ngATM much lesser
monolithic than HARP. You can, for example, use the ng_sscop node as a
general transport protocol (it performs nice over long delay links). It is
very easy to add things or modify them.

From the technical point of view: drivers for PCA200 and HE155/622 (others
in the pipe). LAN emulation v2 and a ATM-Forum compatible ATM API.  Full
remote configuration.

VJ>Moreover in order to emulate an ATM link, I think that Netgraph could
VJ>be used too to provide a virtual PIF. For example in order to emulate
VJ>an ATM link without any ATM board, a ng_HARPDEVICE node could provide
VJ>on one side a Netgraph hook and on the other side a HARP PIF (Physical
VJ>Interface). The Netgraph hook could be used over a UDP socket that
VJ>emulates the physical ATM link.

That's actually a nice idea. I see if I can do something like this.
Remembers me of some ATM over ethernet stuff from Bell Labs.
How would you multiplex the VCs on UDP/TCP?

VJ>Then what are the differences between your PCA200 driver and the HARP's
VJ>one ?

# uname -a
FreeBSD catssrv.fokus.gmd.de 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #18: Tue Jan
28 11:49:32 CET 2003     hbb@catssrv.fokus.gmd.de:/opt/obj/usr/src/sys/CATSSRV  sparc64
# ifconfig
hme0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 192.168.229.23 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.229.255
	ether 08:00:20:b5:d3:15
	media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX)
	status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
hatm0: flags=841<UP,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 9180
	media: ATM UTP/155MBit
	status: active
fatm0: flags=841<UP,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 9180
	media: ATM UTP/155MBit
	status: active
lane0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1516
	inet 192.168.173.7 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.173.255
	ether 00:a0:3e:23:02:00

Regards,
harti
--