Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:31:18 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [RFC] splitting of conf/NOTES

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:17:08PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> > Any comments before I commit this?
>
> Please don't commit this.  Splitting NOTES into 2 files (for each arch)
> already made it harder to maintain and use.

[picking a random email to respond to...]
Those saying this need to offer alternatives.

> Parts of the above split is wrong anyway:
> - ext2fs is inherently MI.  It doesn't compile on some arches since it has
>   some optimizations which are only implemented (in asm) on i386's and
>   alphas's.  These optimizations are bogus -- slightly (;-) more important
>   filesystem like ffs just use C code for the corresponding things
>   (scanning bitmaps).

ext2fs is piss-poorly documented where we got the Linux bits from what
had to be done to make then work for us.  I have up after an hour trying
to get the right sys/gnu/ext2fs/sparc64-bitopts.h.  So I don't think
anyone is going to do it anytime soon.  I'll just move it to
sys/{i386,alpha}/conf/NOTES

> - syscons is supposed to be MI.  If it weren't MI, then it wouldn't be in
>   /sys/dev ;-).

"meant" != is.  The work to make it truly MI is immense.

> - bt and some other devices may be fairly bus-dependent and have no future,
>   but they can be removed from ../../conf/NOTES using a whole 1 `nodevice'
>   line (but don't do too much of this or ../../conf/NOTES files would grow
>   to have almost as much duplication as separate files).

I doubt bt(4) will work on sparc64, PowerPC, or IA-64.  So do people want
all that's in NOTES.bt (and that's a lot of docs) to be duplicated three
times in sys/{alpha,i386,pc98}/conf/NOTES or split out as I have??