Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:39:34 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Rasmus Skaarup <mfbsd@skaarup.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hp rx2600 installation

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 12:43:02PM +0100, Rasmus Skaarup wrote:

> I'm having difficulties installing 5.0-RELEASE on a HP rx2600 i recently
> borrowed. When booting from the CD-ROM I created from the ISO-file I
> correctly downloaded from
>
> ftp://ftp.dk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ia64/ISO-IMAGES/5.0-RELEASE
>
> It loads the kernel fine, but when the 10 seconds run out (or I press
> enter) the machine just reboots, and the system LED turns red for a couple
> of seconds, and the machine starts up in the boot menu.

Yes, that's the correct behaviour *cough* :-)

> Does anyone have any pointers or how-tos? I've searched the webpages, but
> some of the vital sections are still missing :-)

Our 5.0-RELEASE does not support the HP machines because we have too
much ISA (or should I say PC) specific code in our kernel that's
based on all sorts of PC (or should I say ISA) specific assumptions.

We hacked up a working version on our development branch of which I'm
trying to make an ISO, but the release build has failed 3 times now.
It was almost done the last time it failed (the program that makes the
actual ISOs didn't get installed automaticly *sigh*) so I should have
the ISOs on some mirror(s) in a couple of days.

Hang on...