Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 05:37:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Subject:   Re: misc/44148: installworld in 4.7-STABLE does not installIPFilter related header files

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> > Much as I dislike symlink farms, I think this would work OK (the same
> > as symlinks from individual headers in the top level of /usr/include to
> > various places in the src tree).

> My worries are about the case when someone deletes or adds an
> include file.  If we keep symlinks on a per-directory level,
> there's no problem.  But if we switch to per-header symlinks,
> each time the new header is added, or old header is removed,
> you'll have to re-run "make install" in src/include/.  Other

I would sometimes forget that, but the error would usually be
obvious and harmless -- just a missing header.  The symlink wouldn't
be created or changed nearly as often as the file changes.

> than that, I'd like to keep the consistency in how the kernel
> build does this, and how this does the userland.  Currently,
> kern.pre.mk has -I$S/contrib/ipfilter, and if we add the
> -I/usr/include/contrib/ipfilter, this would work as well.

Ugh, that's a bug in kern.pre.mk.  It also has the hacks
-I${INCLMAGIC}, -I$S/dev and -I$S/contrib/dev/acpica.

> So, I'd like to either do this on a directory level, or kill
> the SHARED=symlinks concept.

I depend on SHARED=symlinks a lot.  However, the number of things that
must be installed manually when not using makeworld is large so another
set of includes wouldn't make much difference.

Bruce