Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 21:05:59 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM2 no longer works with -current

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 05:07:54PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Timur I. Bakeyev wrote:
>

> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 10:27:22PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > It seems that gdm2 no longer works with my -current system.  I
> > > just updated gdm2 and I just rebuilt -current.
> > >
> > > FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #2: Tue May  6 00:10:49 CDT 2003     root@gforce.johnson.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GFORCE
> > >
> > > I turned on debugging output in gdm.conf but I do not see anything
> > > that jumps out.  The following is a little suspicious:
> > >
> > > gdm_server_start: Temporary server failure (:0)
> > >
> > > The X server does work.  The gdm-binary process gets started,
> > > the ugly black and white hash screen pops up for a few seconds
> > > and then goes back to the console.  The gdm-binary process stays
> > > around and I have to kill it with kill -9.
> > >
> > > Could this be a problem with pam?  I believe I saw some changes to
> > > the gdm file in /etc/pam.d.
> >
> > Unfortunatelly, I can only confirm that it failes for me as well :(
> >
> > FreeBSD timur.home.bat.ru 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #1: Mon May  5 19:49:0
> > 5 CEST 2003     root@timur.home.bat.ru:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/SMP  i386
> >
> > PORTNAME=       gdm2
> > PORTVERSION=    2.4.1.4
> >
> > With the previous version(2.4.1.3, I belive), I got gdm login
> > prompt, but wasn't able to enter any character... But I suspect,
> > that was caused by default 'Standart' section with the X server call
> > like:
> >
> >  /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9
> >
> > when I have 10 virtual consoles. I'll check this as soon as I'll
> > revert to the previous version.
> >
> > For the current version I have exactly the same probles, as Glenn
> > described :(
>
> I just installed gdm-2.4.1.4 on my -CURRENT machine, and
> it works fine.  I had to merge in some of the new gdm.conf
> settings, but so far, I haven't seen any lockups or crashes.
> If you're experiencing problems, make sure you're starting
> gdm from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh, and try copying
> /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/factory-gdm.conf to /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf.

I always start it from /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh and I already had
merged in changes from factory-gdm.conf.  I went ahead and copied it too
just to be sure.  Still no joy.

Joe, is you -CURRENT a clean install?  Mine has been through hell the
last week or so because of the ffs:free bug and I am wondering if my
system has gremlins lying around.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net