Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:59:26 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Joshua Oreman <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports using CVS repo to get sources

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 09:46:43AM -0700, Joshua Oreman wrote:

> Someone better at ports than me should comment on this, but:
> * Make ${PORTVERSION} something like "1.x-cvs" [does this violate the ver=
sioning scheme?]

I think so.

> * In do-fetch, do:
> do-fetch:
> 	${MKDIR} ${WRKSRC}
> 	(cd ${WRKSRC} && cvs -Q -d :pserver@my.cvs.server:/cvsroot checkout mymo=
dule)
> * Make do-extract remove all vestiges of CVS :-)
> do-extract:
> 	${FIND} ${WRKSRC} -name CVS -exec rm -rf {} \;
> * And it should work.
>=20
> However, I think the main reason that there's no CVS knobs in bsd.port.mk=
 is
> because ports are supposed to be releases. But for a separate port, that'=
s OK,
> I think.

No, it's because you can't fetch from CVS behind a firewall, so some
people will never be able to build your port if it relies on CVS
fetching.  Instead, you should make your own tarball (possibly by
using a helper makefile target for use by the maintainer that fetches
from CVS and creates the tarball) and make it available for
redistribution, either on your own FTP site or on MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

Kris

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd--