Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:32:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GPRS + Bluetooth on FreeBSD

Peter,

> Kirill Bezzubets <kirill@solaris.ru> probably said:
> > Commercial GPRS is OK, even better than HSCSD and cost almost nothing.
>
> I'm wondering about GPRS devices in general, I don't see any of the
> Sierra Aircards listed in the hardware compatability list (although I
> know some of the early ones worked).

i'm not sure about Sierra Aircards, but some of these devices might have
serial port emulation for compatibility with standard terminal programs
and dialers. in this case you plug this thing and you have extra serial
port. after that you just run PPP on this port with a right chat script.

> I'm interested in doing phone-less GPRS data now that T-mobile have a
> decent unlimited data plan but don't seem to be able to find any
> support information.

if the card has standard UART on board then sio(4) driver should recognize
it as a generic modem. eveything else is just a matter of sending right AT
command string to the card. if not then you out of luck and you need special
driver for the card. these cards are still somewhat expensive, so not many
people have them and there isn't much support information.

this link talks about how to configure Linux to recognize AirCard 710/750
from what i can read on this page the card is just fancy serial device.

http://www.sierrawireless.com/SupportDownload/ac7x0_linux.asp

thanks,
max

http://sbc.yahoo.com