Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:19:21 -0400
From:      stan <stanb@panix.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with Samba shared files

I've got a machine that I need to mount a Samba share from a Windows
machine, and run a tail -f on.

The tail -f works fine, but the application on the Windows side that should
be appending data to this file (think syslog like functionality) pops up an
error message about not being able to write to the file.

I've mounted the share as read only, and even gone so far as to create a
symbolic link to the file, and run tail against the symlink.

How can I fix this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin