Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:22:57 -0400
From:      Todd Stephens <tbstep@tampabay.rr.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>, Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: low-scale presenter for FreeBSD?

On Sunday 05 October 2003 02:56 am, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>  I'd be very interested to hear from people who are picky, who have
>  actually used any of these packages, and who can tell me how to use
>  them well.  (Amongst other things, this is a roundabout way of
> saying that I don't know anything good myself).

Out of the applications I mentioned the only one I have done any real
work on was KPresenter.  It could certainly be more... (better?) ...
but it was sufficient for my needs.  It lacks animation and is probably
every bit the PowerPoint clone that OpenOffice is.  I stay away from
OpenOffice as much as possible because it is such a resource pig.

>  I haven't tried the others.  I need something that will interface
> with UNIX text files, and I suspect that MagicPoint's the only choice
> there.

Slideshow seems like an impressive application to me from looking at the
web site http://www.alobbs.com/slideshow.  It has an option to create
"ASCII Slides", so I don't know if that means it can read from a text
file or not.  I might try it out just to see, but I am trying to cut
back on what I am installing these days.  The ports system almost makes
it *too* easy to install things and I've gone a little crazy with it
lately.

--
Todd Stephens
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,