Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:59:42 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do hackers drive?

Bill Moran wrote:
> I've always had a uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach that C++
> and other OO languages were more complicated than they needed to be.

I could never get figure out C++, the syntax was too complex for me,
maybe I never approached it the right way.  (Same problem with perl.)

On the other hand, a few months ago I tried out python and it was love
at first sight.  Initially I was writing stuff in a procedural way but
I'm beginning to grok OO ideas now and it seems to all just make sense.
I wish there was a good compiler for it though, speed is important in a
lot of the things I do.  Subsequently, I also dabbled in lisp a bit,
does anyone use it these days for serious new projects (as opposed to
emacs/maxima/other ancient stuff)?

Quoted on http://www.smalltalk.org :

  "I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
  C++ in mind."  - Alan Kay

- Rahul