Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:15:38 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Power consumption in desktop computers

On Thursday 25 December 2003 19:46, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> those who followed might have noticed I was shopping for a notebook to
> replace some of my desktop system.  To make it short, the notebook
> vendors all pissed me off so good that I'm not going to get a notebook
> (details on request) so I am going for other options.
>
> Here is what my powermeter thinks my desktops are using with various

If you want a desktop machine with low power consumption (and far less cooling
fan noise as a bonus) you may want to look into the VIA Epia motherboards and
systems.  Matt Dillon has posted his results in building workstations (sort
of glorified Xterms) using Epia systems and LCD panels.  You can read his
reivew at:

	http://apollo.backplane.com/FreeBSD/epia/review.html

Wes Peters                                                  Softweyr LLC
wes@softweyr.com                                    http://softweyr.com/