Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:59:04 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Personal patches

Stephen McKay wrote:
> I've got all I know about this guy from his entries in the FreeBSD
> fortune file.

I suspect that's true of most people outside the US who are reading
this.  I barely knew Limbaugh's name before coming to the US.  (And
I'd never heard of Al Franken either until Fox sued him about his
book.) Limbaugh's quotes, everyone seems to agree, are neither funny
nor intelligent; they're merely offensive.  Why should FreeBSD give an
international pulpit to some little-known ignorant American
broadcaster?  Would a random idiot hack from, say, Japan, Norway, or
other countries with FreeBSD contributors, make it to the fortune
files?  Can I nominate Varsha Bhosle or Mani Shankar Aiyar from India
(raise your hand if you've heard of them)?

It may be an "offensive" fortune file but that doesn't mean
offensiveness is the only criterion for inclusion.

Personally I think the offensive fortune file can be removed, or made
into a port.  We have quite enough sources for offensive humour these
days, thank you, besides a lot of it seems quite innocuous to me and
can be merged back into the regular file (or else many the regular
fortunes seem potentially offensive).  All humour is potentially
offensive to someone somewhere of course, but we can draw the line at
stupid bigoted non-humour like Rush Limbaugh.

Rahul