Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:40:00 -0500
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard-seibert@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem With Configuring Name Servers

I am fairly new to BSD. I seem to be having a problem setting up my name servers correctly.

I have the following in the resolv.conf file:

domain rcn.com
nameserver 207.172.3.8
nameserver 207.172.3.9

The following entry is in the re.conf file

ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"

Everything, including nslookup, etc works fine until I reboot. Then the files are over written. The resolv.conf file then has the following entries:

search cable.rcn.com
nameserver 192.168.0.1

Obviously, I am doing something incorrectly here. Why are these files being rewritten upon rebooting of the machine, and how do I stop it. I have a cable connection that uses "DHCP" . I have the latest release of FreeBSD 5.2 installed.

Thanks in advance.

Gerard Seibert
gerard-seibert@rcn.com