Date:      Mon, 10 May 2004 17:32:51 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printing to HP LaserJet III

Hi,

I've brought an old (December 1990) HP LaserJet III printer obviously
with no docs. It is connected on parallel port.

Does anyone has the User Manual for this ? The only thing I could find
on net was the meaning of the error codes.

I suppose that it doesn't understand postscript since I had to install
cups-pstoraster to be able to print from CUPS.

Questions:

1. I've also installed gimp-print, and now I have in CUPS admin's web
page not only the "HP LaserJet Series CUPS v.1.1 (en)" driver but also
15 "HP LaserJet Series - CUPS+GIMP-Print  v.4.2.6 (en)" drivers; is
there any difference between those 15 drivers ? (I think there are for
different languages from what cups's  /usr/local/sbin/lpinfo -l -m
prints out).

2. The tray I have is for "legal" paper and I want to use A4; the
problem is that if I set CUPS to print on A4 it's prompting "PC LOAD A4"
and I have to push "Continue" for each page. If I use legal and I set
the bottom margin to about 6 centimeters I don't have to press
"Continue", but it still get the next page after finishing the current
one (e.g. it spits out a page, wait a little and gets from the tray the
of the next page while printing the current one. Is it a problem of
communication, the driver does submit the print job page by page ? Can
it be set to do otherwise ?

3. From what I've seen on net there are many sub-models of LaserJet III
with different capabilities; is there any method to query the printer
and find out what it knows ?

4. Any suggested ports to install ? I will use ti to print various text
/pdf /ps files probably

Thanks for any input,

--
IOnut