Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:40:08 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RANDOM_IP_ID sysctl?

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 02:13:38PM +0100, David Malone wrote:
> It seems to me that RANDOM_IP_ID might be better as a sysctl rather
> than a kernel option. Would anyone mind if I changed this?

Wouldn't this cause a performance penality? IIRC htons() is currently
a macro which is essentially a no-op, while ip_randomid() is a function
call. Of course we can convert the call to a uniform hook-alike mechainism,
however, given the frequency the function is called, this should be
carefully considered.

In addition, what's the apparant benefit making it a sysctl rather
than being a kernel option? I think there is rarely a sysadmin to
enable and disable this runtime.

BTW. For security considerations I'd like to see if this is made default
in GENERIC kernels :-)

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--